Saturday, June 25, 2011

Stoneforge Mystic banned + New Jace

Well, it has finally happened. Now I know that the late banning of a card that was going to rotate out in a few months is a little weird but, I think we can all agree that Stoneforge Mystic was broken. Lets take a closer look at the finer details, her ability to tutor up the best equipment in standard format "Batterskull" for only 1W, then bringing it into play on turn 3 was a little absurd, and may I dare say lame. Now, I know your thinking, "What do I know?" Enough to figure out that if WotC is going to ban a card so close to rotation, then something must have gone wrong, now I am not trying to throw gasoline on the fire here and let me say at least this, the professionals who travel all around the world competing for the glory of the coveted Player of the Year, such as LSV "Luis Scott-Vargas", is always trying to find the next best thing to wipe the playing field at Grand Prix and Pro Tours. The banning of Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic isn't going to slow down the pros one bit.

                          Now let me move onto something that is giving me chills to my core, the new Jace being printed in the upcoming Magic 2012 set is going to be a force to reckon with.

Jace, Memory Adept – 3UU
Planeswalker – Jace (Mythic Rare)
+1 Loyalty – Draw a card. Target player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
0 Loyalty – Target player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
-7 Loyalty – Any number of target players each draw twenty cards.
Loyalty 4
Now lets take a look at Jace, Memory Adept, this Planeswalker is built for one thing... Milling. Sigh..
This is going to be another menace to watch out for, albeit not as bad as JtMS but still, his 0 Ability is "Target player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard." When this comes into standard on July 15th, I'm going to be dreading seeing this in Mindcrank + Bloodchief Two-Headed Giant decks. 


Well that's all for now, check back soon for more MTG.

No comments:

Post a Comment